Saturday, May 5, 2012

Had a blast down in Indy this morning!  This was my 5th Mini in a row and my fastest since 99'! I made the trek to Indy last night and stayed once again with my good bud Tom Kline in Nobelsville (which is just north of Indy).  Went out Friday night and met up with another good bud and former Ultraman Canada champion Scott Beasley at Mudsocks.  Had a great time catching up and filling my gut with pasta and Blue Moon...

Race Report:  I had a good warm up and did more stretching than I usually do.  I made my way over to corral A and weaseled my way up to the gang from 3RRC who were sitting right behind the Kenyans.  After some chit chat and finding out what everybody's goals were we were off.  Very uneventful start for a race of this magnitude (35,000).  I wanted to hold 6:20's or just under and see where it went from there.  Temp at the start was around 67 and they were predicting low eighties for a high.  The humidity was around 90% which I particularly didn't care for.  Went through the mile in 6:09 which felt pretty good, then rattled off 6:12, 6:13, 6:13, 6:20...  I hit the 10k sign in 39:25, pretty much right where I wanted to be.  One of the reason's I like this half so much is that you get to run around the Speedway for the entire 2-1/2 miles.  But on days like this, no clouds, high humidity, the track can get pretty hot.  And today was no exception.  After exiting the track my times started to slow a bit, 6:27, 6:28, 6:27, 6:25.  I started downing water at every stop and started to catch a second wind with 5k to go.  I finished with a 6:20 and a 1:24:08 finish time.  I was hoping for something closer to 1:23 but I can blame it on the weather... Overall felt really good with this and looking forward to my next race in two weeks.

No comments: