Sunday, April 22, 2012

Jumped into a local 10k this afternoon.  It's on a familiar course that many races have been run on so I know the distance is legit...  I wanted to get in something faster today so I could count it as a tempo run.  I was very optimistic on a time and thought I could squeak out something in the 38 range.  As I lined up at the start, I saw absolutely no one that I recognized except for maybe one other master who is a bit slower than me.  I couldn't get my Garmin 110 to get a signal before the start so I was running blind from the get go...  I thought I took it out conservatively but after a couple of hundred yards, I found myself leading the pack. I hit the mile mark in 5:43 and about 10-12 seconds in front of 2nd place.  I tucked in behind the lead biker and just motored!  This course is an out and back through one of the local parks and run entirely on a greenway/bikepath.  I never looked back after the 1st mile so when I hit the turnaround, I wasn't really sure who was back there.  When I made the turn I saw no one, in fact when I did finally see someone, I had about a half mile lead.  I almost thought about shutting it down and cruising in, but at this point I wanted to see if I could push it a bit and see what I could do.  I was feeling pretty good and thought I could hold sub 6's to the end.  Inevitably I drifted on the plus side of 6 but still averaged 6:04's, good for a 37:52 and the overall win.  Very happy with the effort and with only a couple of weeks to go until the Mini, feeling very confident about running that sub 1:25!

5 comments:

GZ said...

Nice Ward. A WIN. That is always sweet.

Ward said...

Thanks GZ... keeping my calves healthy is going to be key to any success I'm going to have this year. I think with the addition of P90X and taking Calcium and Magnesium chances are I can take that injury out of the equation and focus more on getting fast...

Paul said...

Nice job Ward. Good time.

Ward said...

thx Paul... when am I going to see you at a race this year?

FatDad said...

for the win! nicely done