Thursday, August 11, 2011

PPM thoughts...

So I have a little more than a week until part deux of Pikes...  I feel like I'm in as good of shape now, maybe slightly better, than I was at this time last year.  A couple of things I've done different this year, I've incorporated stair climbing into the routine, to many miles to count.  I've also got 3 runs in over 30 miles and several more over 20... My weight last year at race time was around 141, right now I'm sitting at 135 and feeling very strong. With my current unemployment status, I've been able to put in half a dozen 100 mile weeks, last year I think I had 2 or 3 in the months leading up to Pikes.  The only variable is the altitude. I'm preparing the best that I know how barring moving out to Colorado Springs for a month prior to the race. Looking forward to a nice taper next week...

6 comments:

GZ said...

When do you get out here?

Ward said...

GZ... did you get my text?

Rick said...

Did you use the sleeping chamber last year? How much of a difference do you think it will make having slept in it, but not lived at altitude?

Ward said...

Rick - I used a different one last year that had a max setting of 10k.. This year I'm using one with a max setting of 20k. I've been sleeping at 16k for over 3 weeks now. Last year I was OK until I hit the treeline then I started getting a massive headache and felt nauseous until I came back down to that same area. They say sleeping high and training low is the ideal scenario to maximize your training.. I guess we'll see. Hopefully with the different unit I'm using this year and sleeping at the higher altitude(16k) it will have some positive effect on the mountain sickness (and performance) I had last year.

Jim P. said...

Have a great race!

Ward said...

Jim - thanks, thats the Goal!