Saturday, May 7, 2011

Goal Achieved!

Running the Mini has become a regular stop for me here in the last 4 or 5 years...  This IS one of my favorite races to run.  Not only for the excellent venue, but the ambiance of a really large race.  The Mini is the largest Half Marathon in the country and is 8th of all races in the US as far as overall registrants.

I drove down to Indy the night before and stayed with a good friend, of which I've stayed at the last three years now.  The mini is a pretty early race in the year and other than my PR down here in 97' in 1:18:44, my times have usually not been very fast for an early season half.  A couple of months ago I made it goal to run a 1:25 here, given I made it through the winter with any major meltdown or injury.  The flu took me out about a week in late March and I lost a bit of momentum and started having doubts if I could get back the lost time.  Over the last 3-4 weeks, workouts and mileage have been tremendous and I've been feeling great even though my weekly numbers have been higher than average.

After my 4:50am wake-up call, I headed downstairs and checked the weather first thing.  It looked awful, thick cloud cover and storm cells were forming in Illinois west of Indy.  I downed a banana and a muffin along with some Gatorade and water. A quick pit stop in the head and I was out the door.

The drive was easy and I found a nice spot next to the Capitol building, about two blocks from the finish line. I made my way over to a nice spot next to a state building and did some stretching and warmed up a bit.  I made my way over to Corral A and found some of the Fort Wayne bunch there... some idle chit chat and we were off.

The goal was to keep it under 6:30's and nothing faster than 6:10.  The pace was very comfortable from start to finish, I don't think I could have paced myself any better.  I left my HRM off because I didn't want my HR to influence the pace I was running.  My official time is 1:24:59.... I didn't stop my Garmin until I walked well past the finish line, so my data below is a bit skewed.  I'm very happy with this result at this time of the year.  I'm ready to get back at it and get things in order for PPM in a little less than 4 months.  Looking forward to running some shorter races this year to get some of the 5k speed back that has been lacking in years past... 

View my GPS data on Garmin Connect.

3 comments:

Brandon Fuller said...

Nice work. Jealous of that time. I need to run a half in that range. Maybe I will come there again next year.

GZ said...

Well done. Now ... (cue music) ...

Rick said...

Great pacing - that's going to be key at PPM.