Monday, April 11, 2011

Progress...  Yesterday was the upteenth annual Mastodon Stomp 5k. It's run on and around the campus of IPFW.  Not really a course to set a PR on as there are a lot of twists and turns.  Yesterdays temps at race time were almost near the high of the day at 83 degrees.  My warm-up went well and legs seem to be out of the funk they were in the the previous couple of days. First mile was a bit fast (which it always is) and the rest of the race went about as planned. I ended up with a 19:24 which is just about what I thought I could do right now. Of course I had Rick's prediction dancing in my head after my 5:55 first mile, but then came to my senses as the race progressed.  The heat became a factor toward the end as I was just melting not being used to the temps...  Another 7 weeks until my next 5k and the goal is to be in the 17's by then.  A shot below post race of myself and some of the top masters in the area. 

4 comments:

it's all about pace said...

well done... 5:55 1st mile... nice

Rick said...

You were right on with your own prediction - always good to know right where you are. Looks like my prediction was 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule ;-)

Ward said...

thanks guys... I seriously think that if the temps were down in the 40's, my time would have been closer to that 18:5X - 19:0X. My last mile was AWFUL which ruined it for me..

GZ said...

Nice header shot. I fully expect you to take off at PPM with a 5:55 as well.