Tuesday, February 15, 2011

This summer will mark my 37th year since I started running.  It was an early June day in 1974 when I was 10 years old and went to visit my Dad in Redondo Beach, California.   He and my Mom had been divorced for a few years and I was living in Las Vegas at the time.   I took the short flight to LA and looked forward to spending some time with him.  Even in 74', at age 37, my Dad was already a seasoned runner of around 10 years.  He had been getting up early mornings and running before work.  One day I asked him if I could come with him, and so it started.  He lived virtually right on the beach, so we just hoped on the bike path and headed south toward Palos Verdes.  I would only last about a mile then would have to walk.  He would continue on for a quarter mile or so and circle back and then I would start running again for another half mile and start walking again. This would continue for the whole run of around 5 miles.  We did this every morning for a week until I was running in longer bursts then finally after two weeks I could run the whole 5 miles, at 10 years old. After I came back home to Vegas, the running continued for awhile but became less frequent. It wasn't until I joined the Army at 17 that my running started to become more of a daily routine again.  I did some running through high school, track, xc, but never really took it seriously.  It wasn't until I turned 21 that I really started to focus on running and racing and to date, haven't stopped.  Sorry for the ramble, but I just started thinking about this when I got up today and thought I'd share.

3 comments:

GZ said...

Cool roots.

Jeff said...

Good to see you still going after all those years. I've got about 33 years in but there have been some breaks in there.

it's all about pace said...

I have that Army to thank for my running habit as well.. thanks for sharing.