Sunday, September 12, 2010

Last year at this time I ran a 5k and managed to win the race overall with a 17:36 on a slightly long course. Since I really don't have anything going on right now, I thought I'd give it another shot this year. This year the race director, (my good bud Jon Beasley) went back to the orginal USATF certified course that he was going to run last year except unforseen circumstances made him alter the course to a 3 x 1 mile loop course. Standing at the start/finish line I knew there were at least two to three guys there who could beat me if they were in shape, unbeknownst to me, there were also a couple of kids from nearby Indiana Wesleyan cross country team lined up for a "training" run... After the first mile, 5:45, I was in 7th. The pace felt pretty good, but I knew I needed to let up a bit if I was going to be be able to hold it, 2nd mile in 5:55, 6th place. The guy in front of me was fading fast and I knew I was going to catch him before the third mile. Last mile in 5:54 and an 18:17 finish time... 5th overall and 1st master, not anywhere near fast but happy to put in a another solid effort.

Got out this afternoon for a nice 20.2 miler in some great weather. Not to hot, and just enough breeze to keep things cool. I feel almost back to normal... looking to start putting in some solid weeks leading up to Veterans.

No comments: