Tuesday, July 20, 2010

am) 10 miles easy starting at 4:15am... Somewhat cool weather this morning, I almost hated to stop. I was still drenched from head to toe with sweat at the finish, but felt very good.

These next couple of weeks should be the biggest numbers I'll post prior to PPM. Would like to try and get close to 120 each week with corresponding vertical gain as well. The last three weeks I'll start dialing it down.

On Sunday, I made a trip to Ohio to visit an old friend who used to be a triathlon Pro who's become a full time runner now. (hmmmm, sounds familiar to another someone I know...) Through his years as a Pro he was given an Altitude tent by one of his sponsors which was used about a year and found it's way into the back of his closet since. He saw a post I made on facebook and e-mailed me letting me know that he had this training tool and thought I should start using it around 4-6 weeks prior to the race. So Sunday I set it up and slept at ~4000'. Last night I went to ~5000. In two weeks I'll be sleeping at 9000-10000'. I really haven't noticed a difference in my performance or breathing yet, but it's only been two days.... will post updates as they happen.


pm) 5 miles, 1/2m w-u at 3%, then 4 mile progression starting at 12% incline then 12.5, 13, 13.5% average pace for the 4 miles ~10:40/m, 1/2m w-d at 3%... post run weight @ 131...

4 comments:

GZ said...

120 mile weeks? Big vertical? Altitude tent?

DAMN. Watch out.

Ward said...

All I want to do is make it up and down in one piece and without having to leave the mountain ten toes up!

Lucho said...

You won't see a significant response until you break ~7800ft altitude. Below this and you don't see much other than delayed recovery. Since your exposure is relatively brief (7-8 hours?) you can bring it up faster than the recommended increases (I am assuming you're following the instructions booklets guidlines?). 5000ft isn't even considered altitude in terms of physiology. (Western Kansas sits at 4000ft). You might also want to stop using it ~2 weeks out from PPM to reduce stress as much as possible and fully recover. Tapering is best done at sea level even for PPM.

Ward said...

Always good advice!!! Thanks T!