Thursday, January 21, 2010

"Methinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
- Henry David Thoreau


No news is good news right.. right... All is going well in the land of frozen corn and Dan Qualye.

Here lately I've been reflecting on what kind of direction, if any, I want to take my running. It seems that everytime I get to a place where I'm feeling good and fast, my calf decides to slap me in the face and set me back a month or more. I am doing more now than ever to try and prevent this from ever happening again i.e., using the stick everyday, doing sets of jumping rope (double and single leg). The one thing I am doing more now is trying to eat right. I am a terrible consumer of food, nothing balanced in this diet. I think a lack of a proper diet may have contributed to the calf strains, I mean it goes without saying that you do need the right amount of vitamins and minerals to keep your body strong and fit... right? I'm cutting out the crap and taking my vitamins every morning like my life depended on it. There is "some" stretching but not a lot as I'm not totally on board with the benefits of it. One other thing I'm also concentrating on is post run recovery as far as nutrition goes. Hopefully a combination of all of this will keep me strain free!

Now as far as direction goes, I have been seriously thinking about getting in some ultra stuff. With my collaboration with Tim during my Boston Marathon training, I've found that the direction of running he has chosen (as well as others, BF-Leadville 100, my good bud Scott-Copper Canyon [2007 Ultraman Canada Champion] as well as too many others to mention) has intrigued me enough to start looking into the possibility of running a few of these "ultra" races. Not only to see if I can push myself to those extreme limits, but to become more in touch with nature itself. Just reading all the blog posts out there on these races gets my heart racing and my inner Krupicka is ready to head out the door to get in a 50 mile training run.

There are just so many 5 and 10k's that you can do without satisfaction, even if you do set a PB or win your AG. How many more containers do I need to fill up with trophies, plaques and ribbons before before I realize that the destination is not what I enjoy the most, but the journey is what really keeps me coming back and wanting more. Yes, the race is the icing on the cake, but how many pieces of cake do you need to eat before you start to realize that there's more to life than cake? These are the kind of thoughts that have been swirling around the ole hippocampus lately. I just don't derive any satisfaction with the occasional race these days. I'm searching for something more meaningfull to my running. I think by "stepping it up" to 26.2 and beyond might give me that void in my pysche that I've been wanting to fulfill. Of course this all might be because I've got less than 4 years to go before I turn 50 and I'm getting senile... [Which may be why I'm considering Pikes Peak... someone please talk me out of it!]

8 comments:

GZ said...

Well!

I was going to start actually with "oh sh*t" but ...

Pikes is, as I understand it .. a "nice" way to warm up to ultras. Sure ... marathon by distance ... definitely not by time. And it is epic.

So no talking out of it here.

(lots of similar self talk here with Pikes and those next bigger races ... so I am not sure where this craziness ends)

Trail Runner said...

Great blog! Thanks for sharing. I too am going to try my first 50 mile trail run in April...this after delving into tri's and marathons over the last few years.

Best of luck to you!

Brandon Fuller said...

If there is one race that should be an ultra but technically is not, its the PPM. It is a great time and I hope to return again someday when it isn't a conflict with another race. It books up quick so you have to decide on it before the day registration opens...because you only have a few hours once it does.

"Inner Krupicka" - Love it. But that means you have to come out to Leadville. All distances available!

Paul said...

Your post reads like you've been on Chuckie V's site a lot lately. Deep yet chaotic, in a good way. As for PPM go for it. No better way to find out if it's for you or not than to just jump into one. You should give Mike Shoudel a call he has run Pikes a number of times. Wait I think the last I heard he lives out there now, maybe a free place to stay? Also not "having as much cake" will go well with the new diet right?

Ward said...

Thanks for all the comments guys... the only thing really holding me back on Pikes is that fact that my mind is telling me, "how the heck are you going to train for something like that?!?".. I don't have the elevation gain or decent to adequately prepare myself for something as epic as Pikes. The only thing I could remotely do to train for that is crank up the t'mill to 12-15% and have at it...
So what do I do for decent? I thought about running up and down the stairs at One Summit Square, 27 floors (which is the tallest building in town here) they used to have a race to do just that on those stairs. I don't know, still throwing it around to see if it's in the cards or not... I know it sells out same day and who knows if I can even get in, looks like I got ~7 weeks to make up my mind.

Brandon - Leadville sounds like a blast!

Paul - I haven't been on Chuckie's site for awhile. I laugh too hard when I do. Man, I have heard Mike Schodel's name for awhile. He used to be nails!

GZ said...

you can get to hills via the treadmill and probably only need to do that once or twice a week. Everything else can be pretty common to marathon training.

The bigger issue will be altitude.

Ward said...

Maybe invest in one of these baby's...

http://altitudetraining.com/main/sports/products/uncontrolled/cat150

Don't think the wife would go for it, but hey. Ya' never know...

Jeff said...

The "ultra thing" is probably more realistic for you. I think the altitude would be tough for you coming from the Midwest. I say try a 50k first. I am considering a 50K trail race in September. With the ultras you do need to become more of a trail runner. Keep us posted.