Saturday, May 2, 2009

Indianapolis Mini Marathon

Another Mini in the books... I met up with Brandon Reichert from the Three Rivers Running company in corral A and we decided that we were running around the same pace so we'd run together. Race went great, started off smooth, 6:22, 6:22, 6:31, 6:32... Brandon picked it up and I stayed consistant, 6:27, 6:30, 6:32, 6:23. Brandon was never more than 30-40 seconds ahead of me at any point. Around mile 9-10 he started coming back to me and was slowing fast... He pulled off to side of the road and started stretching his calf.. I stopped and waited for him to get his stretch in and compose himself. We started back up but pace was way off.. I decided I was going to stick with him and get him to the finish. Besides, I wasn't putting too much emphasis on this race anyway.. I would have hit my goal I have no doubt. I kept encouraging and trying to get him motivated to keep putting one foot in front of the other. His calf was seizing on him and he was afraid it was going to blow, thankfully it didn't and we ended up crossing the finish together in 1:30:37... All in all I felt like this was a very good training run!! Next weekend I got a 20 miler to look forward to...

2 comments:

GZ said...

Right on man. Way to get back on the horse!

Cathy said...

Wow...Corral A...what's that like? And impressive mile times...wow! When I calculate people's times against mine, I realize they run almost as twice as fast as I do...

Congrats!