Thursday, April 23, 2009

I decided to go see a doctor yesterday to get something to help me with my throat. It has been very painfull to swallow food or drink since last Friday... I was getting headaches and body aches, but attributed that to my running and just general stress leading up to the race. After stepping out of the doctors office, I was looking at Strep throat and walking pneumonia. If I would have had just "plain" pneumonia, I would have had to have been checked into a hospital because those syptoms could become life threatining if left untreated. Walking pneumonia is a relatively minor lung infection and although the bacteria is causing an infection in the lungs, the disease itself is so minute that it is possible the body can cure it without additional treatment. This is the difference between walking pneumonia and pneumonia, since it is possible to do things "normally" despite what is going on inside your body. Of course, treating walking pneumonia nonchalantly is definitely not recommended, since the disease still produces uncomfortable symptoms and can be contagious.

"So, what are the symptoms of walking pneumonia? Many of the major signs of walking pneumonia will mimic what a person experiences when they have a bad cold or a flu. These can include headaches, nausea, a sore throat, fever, chills and chest pain. There are also more troublesome, (yet manageable), signs of walking pneumonia including: rashes, a lump in the neck, ear pain and an increased respiratory rate. So, while walking pneumonia won’t require hospitalization, you still want to at least get bed rest as your body is going through these symptoms. You would do that even for the flu, a disease that doesn’t have the infamy of pneumonia."

It looks like I'll take off a little more time than originally planned. I'm on Zithromax for 5 days, so on Monday I'll make the call and see how I feel and go from there...

2 comments:

Paul said...

Well that eliminates the searching for what went wrong in Boston.

FatDad said...

Dude,
Weirdest thing: I had a sub par race on Sunday, totally got sick Sunday night, got the call from the doc that it was Strep just this evening.