Monday, February 23, 2009

Seems like I keep saying the same thing week after week.. "great week"..again... 21 miles yesterday.. easy for the first 1:30, HR 140-150 the cranked it up a notch for the last 1:20 to more goal marathon HR at 155-160... I'm really absorbing these longer runs now, the legs today feel like I didn't even run yesterday. 8 weeks to Boston and I'm getting really pumped... I'm stepping into the next phase of training this week with more pace specific work and gravitating away from using the HRM. This phase is going to make or break me as far as getting to my "consevatively optimistic" goal for this marathon. I need to be doublely focused and be more mentaly prepared for workouts this session... Weight is hovering around 135 right now.. this is one aspect of my training that I could be doing more with but just haven't been putting much effort in it. I know.. I know.. 135 seems like a good race weight, but I know I could be 130 without too much effort. Just think what 5 pounds could do for my pace during the race??

2 comments:

GZ said...

Ward!

Be careful on the weight. I know you know that but at some point, we need to be reminded of diminishing returns. FWIW - 5'8" and 140 over here.

Good training on ya.

Ward said...

GZ - I hear ya'.. I think if just stop eating the junk food and be a little more focused on what I should be eating, I think the weight will drop off natually. About 4-5 years ago I was down around 127 and running some of my fastest times...