Wednesday, November 19, 2008

11/17/08 - rest day.. AHHHHH.. feels good!

11/18/08 - 7 miles, easy run MHR 150

11/19/08 - 8 miles, Progression run, 3 miles warm-up then 4 miles at "moderate effort" then last mile at goal marathon pace... This one hurt a bit, saw my HR get up to 177 toward the end. I haven't seen it that high even in the last mile of a 5k... I felt the bile creeping up at the end of this one... glad it was only 1 mile! 2'-3' minute walking cool down. Coach says I should read too much into this as my fitness will be 10 times better by race day! I'm still 21+ weeks out so I'm totally on board with this!

During my last e-mail correspondence with Tim, I asked about throwing some racing into the mix between now and Boston, and got to ok to throw in a race or three.. "Race on" was his response... I've got three races in mind I'd like to do. December 6th (in two weeks) there is a local 10k I think I'll do. This 10k holds a special place with me as it's the first race in which I won outright back in 96'. In the process, beating a couple of legends in this area by the names of Mike Fruechy,(now mens XC coach at IPFW) and Chuck Schlemmer,(now womens XC coach at West Noble HS, 2 weeks after this race, Chuck ran the Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville Alabama in 2:34)... February 14th there is a 5k and on March 21st a 20k which is practicaly in my backyard.

3 comments:

FatDad said...

That 10K sounds like fun!

Cathy said...

Hey...thanks for the post...I apologize that that was the first one you read of mine! Way to go for Boston btw...my friends tried qualifying at Chicago...but once again, way too hot. One girl made it though out of the 5. I began running about three years ago and did my first half in May and planning on doing it again. Excited to see how you are preparing for Boston!

Ward said...

I almost prefer the heat to the cold.. Boston has always been in the back of my mind for years.. I've qualified several times but just never had the gumption(sp?) to make the trip out there. I figure I need to run it at least once to say I've done it aye? I see your from Indiana, so the half you did in May was probably the Mini? That's one of my favorite races of all time.. I was there last May as well... If you plan on doing it again, and if you haven't already signed up, I'd do it soon. There on record registration pace this year and last year they filled up by November 30th...