Wednesday, November 12, 2008

11/10/08 - rest day

11/11/08 - 8 miles HR 140-150, Fartlek: 5 mile warm-up then 8 x 30" hard effort w/1' RI ran at pace comfortable enough to recover and finish the set.

11/12/08 - 5 miles MHR 150

All is going well.. Feeling good, weight is hovering steady at 136-138 on any given day. I'm certain if I were more meticulous with my eating habits, I'd get down to 130-133 pretty quick. ..............................Adidas adiZero Mana.............................
I've been choosing to do the majority of my runs in my flats for whatever reason. In the past I've always trained in regular training shoes and raced in flats. After a hard 5 or 10k in flats, I would almost always be a bit sore in the calves the following day. Maybe by training more in my flats, this little problem will go away, and at the same time, strengthen my calves thus staving off some calf related injury. My longer runs (10+) are done with my regular training shoes with more cusioning, but as I start to build up strength in my calves and build volume and adapt, I may switch to my flats exclusively.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

I used to train in flats years ago when I was lighter and more efficient. Don't think I would try it now. You are light enough that you might get away with it. Beware of the stress on your feet. Any racing left this season?

Ward said...

It's still a 70/30 mix right now of the flats/trainers.. I don't want to jeopardize anything good I got going on at the moment. Not sure about the racing.. There is a 10k in December I'd like to do, but I'll have to run it by Coach Tim first.. not sure if it will fit into the program at this point.

FatDad said...

when you say 'more meticulous' what are some of the changes you would make? I've been thinking carrying a few fewer pounds in Vegas wouldn't hurt.

Ward said...

Processed sugars.. I tend to snack quite a bit when I get home after work and before dinner, chips, cookies, just a lot of stuff I shouldn't. (I've been dipping into the kids halloween candy here lately) When I eat dinner, I tend to "eat just because it's there" instead of eating resonable portions. I also sometimes eat again just before bed too, (which is a big no-no..) I can down a sleeve of fig newtons with a tall glass of milk no problem... I think I could eliminate a lot of the snacking if I were to just eat when I'm suppose to instead of eating when I want to.