Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Evaluating MAF...

About a month ago, when I first started using MAF as a way to control the efforts of the base building phase of my running. I determined through research and recomendation that my range would be 135 - 145. I used this range for about a week until Lucho recommended I bump that up to 140 - 150 based on my current fitness and most recent race results. Since then I've ran all runs with a max HR of 150.. of course there was the occasional 152 or 153 but was quickly brough back down.
On 8/21/08 I started to throw in 4 x 10s - 15s pick-ups at slightly faster than 5k pace as a way to build strengh, speed, and economy without cheating on base work. These were done with plenty of rest in between so as not to get fatigued. Fatigue is a bad thing as it actually reduces your economy.
My MAF tests are producing very nice results and tell me that definitley something is going right. After confirming with Lucho on what's been going on, it's time to start tempo runs, progression runs, hill repeats, in other words... let's go fast! (at least some of the time) Hey, now your talking...

Yesterday I took off at an easy 1st mile, below MAF, then let it fly and went almost as hard as I could for the remainder of the run. 7:18, 6:43, 6:33, 6:41, 6:48, 6:40. (a far cry from my sub 6:00's that I was running during the summer)That's probably as fast as I can go right now without blowing up... AHR for the run was 161.. AHR for 1st mile was 145, AHR for the 5 miles at tempo was 168.. This tells be that my MAF is around 148. This also tells me that my range for my MAF is ~142 - 152... very close to what I'm currently running anyway. I should have limited that run to 3 hard miles and the rest at MAF but I wanted to get the data from running a hard tempo to evaluate my MAF range. Tempo runs, for now, will be every other week. The next one will only be ~3 miles at 2-8 beats below LT and then will build on that.

I have a 10k race this weekend that will give me an even better indication of where my range and LT should be. More on that after Saturday.



Even though my MAF is improving at this range, Tim is having me bump my HR 5-10 beats and then focus on that intensity thus stimulating the muscles to build strength that is specific to running hard in marathons.

4 miles easy run today with an AHR of 148.. Progression run tomorrow..

Good things to come!!!

No comments: