Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Saturday, June 7th..

I wanted to run a 5k this weekend to see what I was capable of. Originally I was going to run the Canal Days 5k in New Haven, but ended up choosing the Monroe Lions Club 5k. I think because the race started at 8:15am vs. the 10:00am start at New Haven.

In the week leading up to the race, I started getting some chest congestion and was hacking up some good green stuff for a couple of days prior to the race. I felt pretty good race morning, but was still a little tight in the chest. The race went off without a hitch. There were some guys who took off like a bat out of you know where, they were caught by mile 1. I picked off a few more through the finish and ended up with a 17:46, 5th place overall and 1st in AG. I really thought I would be able to go 17:30 but the last mile and a half was a struggle to hold pace. I'm going to blame it on my chest congestion and call it a day. (Man, I have an excuse for everything, don't I!)...

I have 5 weeks to go for the Parade Race 5k. As long as things go as planned, I think I should hit my goal. This race will have over 1000 people and will be a much bigger motivator than a 120 person rinky dink 5k. I can't believe that I'm considering another 5k before the goal race, but I've been known to not follow conventional wisdom. More later this week....

1 comment:

Mel said...

Thanks for visiting my blog....17:46 is still smokin fast :)...Happy Father's day to you!!! Looks like you have 3 cutie boys :) enjoy your day!!