Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Training Log... nahhh!

Going to take a break from logging my miles here. Let's just say I'm running a lot and leave it at that. Keeping weekly mileage over 60 but started tapering after last Sundays long run for my marathon on March 30th. I have a 20k race I'm running this coming weekend and not really sure what kind of effort I want put into it. Do I try and blast a good one or keep it mild and try to hold 6:30's for a good tempo run? I don't really want to trash my legs for the marathon the following weekend. This is the first time I've run this 20k in about 8 or 9 years.. It's literaly in my backyard so I kind of feel obligated. For about 7 years now, I've always rode my bike out to the race and paced the leaders and took pictures. I'm very intimate with the course as I run on it all the time during training. Hills for the first 2-1/2 miles then it flattens out until about mile 7 where run another short hill then turn around and back the same direction you came. Around mile 10 you break off from the route out and head north back to the starting line which is all flat.

This is a profile of the race course from mapmyrun.com. Although this profile shows it being quite hilly, it really isn't. This will be a good test of my fitness and to see what I might run the marathon in. After the race, I'll plug in the numbers to Daniels VDOT table and McMillan's calculator to see where I fall. My legs feel very good this week as I've been able to get outside more and more as the weather starts to warm-up. Maybe it's a physcological, but I always seem to be more relaxed and run smoother outside than on the treadmill. A 7:00 pace seems almost effortless versus a 7:00 pace on the treadmill. I should really start wearing my HRM more often outside and compare results at the same speed.. Enough rambling for now!

1 comment:

GZ said...

Too bad. I enjoy your log posts. Yeah, I know it is tedious, but it is kind of this blogosphere circle of motivation.

I lately have the opposite problem with the mill. Runs on the mill are easier than those outside. Too bad races occur outside for me rather than on treadmills.