Sunday, March 23, 2008

Race yesterday...

Brrrrrr..Is all I can say. Here it is the second day of spring and it looked like it was the middle of January with a strong noreaster blowing in.. If it was a training day, I probably would have opted for an indoor dreadmill run for sure. As I showed up for registration, the weather was cold but tolarable. As I made my way outside a half hour before the start for a short warm-up, it started to snow and the wind started picking up from the north. At the start, it was an all out snow storm with a solid 20-25 mph wind out of the north. I told myself before the start I wasn't going to try and push this race, instead opt for a solid tempo run. 1st mile is almost all down hill with a short uphill around the 1/2 mile mark, 6:07. A bit faster than I wanted to go but I knew it would be just because of the layout. The next 2 miles are all up and down so I just tried to relax on the uphills and let gravity take me on the downhills, 6:38, 6:41. The first three miles have some pretty good tree coverage so the wind and snow wasn't really a factor. Once I hit the 3 mile mark, it was blowing snow and wind until I made a left turn (south)around the 5 mile mark, and had the wind and snow at my back for about a mile and half. But I knew what was coming after I hit the turnaround. In all my 33 years of being a competitve runner, I don't think I've ever had a more miserable time in a mile and half. The snow was coming down a a pretty good clip and it wasn't a soft snow either. It almost felt like little grains of sand were blowing in your face and eyes at 25 mph. Along with trying to keep your footing and not slipping and sliding, it made for a miserable 10 minutes. After I made the turn back west, I swear the wind changed directions and was blowing in my face again for the next 2 miles until I made the turn north again for another mile of a blast in the face of cold stinging snow. One more turn north for the final charge to the finish... That was one race I was glad was over.. definitely a charachter builder! 11th place overall and 3rd in AG, 1st and 2nd in Ag were 2nd and 4th overall.. How's that for a competitive AG! One week to go for the marathon. After plugging in the data to Mcmillan's calculator, he say's I should be running around 3:04.. Although I'd be VERY happy with that right now, I'll play it a little more conservative and shoot for a 3:07 - 3:12. Adios for now!

No comments: