Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Another Marathon.... you bet!

I had to make the decision quick because if I sat down and thought about it and let reasoning take over, I'd probably talk myself out of it. I've decided to run another marathon 4-1/2 weeks from today. The Ohio River Road Runners Club Marathon in Xenia, OH. It's been a week and a half since I ran my other marathon and I actually feel great right now. I have run almost 66 miles in 8 days. Todays workout convinced me to make the commitment. I ran 7 miles today with the middle 3 ran at tempo, 6:18/m, and felt as if I could have went under 6:00 for all of those. I think I'm pretty much 100% recovered from the marathon. I have a 15-18 mile run scheduled for this Sunday that will either seal the deal or put the nails in the coffin on this one. As I was running today, I kept remembering some lines from the Forrest Gump movie,

I ran clear to the ocean,and when I got there, I figured since I'd gone this far,might as well turn around, just keep on going.

And when I got to another ocean, I figured since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back and keep right on going.

When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go...you know... I went
.


Well, I've hit one ocean and am ready to turn back and go for the other one. I have to have confidence in my ability, and at the same time be tough enough to follow through. If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, I have won even before starting.

No comments: