Wednesday, January 30, 2008

100 mile week..

Well, I have less than 3 weeks to go for my Boston qualifying attempt. All the training has been put in place and executed almost to the letter.... I feel VERY confident about the outlook right now. All workouts have been going well and I don't see any limiters going into the race. I just need to remind myself (often...) that I don't have to run a sub 3 to qualify.. just take it easy, start off running 7:10's and if it still feels good after 13 miles then pick it up to 7:05's. Then after 20 if I'm still "feeling it", then get it down to 7:00's and hold on from there. Even if I blow up and have to back down after 20, I still have a ~20-25 minute buffer to get under 3:30:59 for a qualifying time. Of course weather and nutrition will come into the equation as well, but I've trained in some of the worst conditions possible so far and I've practiced my race day nutrition as well in the last 4 weeks of 20 milers.

Sooooo, with the marathon done and over, what will be my next goal to keep me going from day to day, other than keeping fit. I want to rest just long enough to give my body time to absorb the marathon and heal itself... I'm thinking right now about 2-3 days, then get back into the swing of things. Of course slowly at first, but by the second week, I'd like to be back to 50 mile weeks... Which brings me to the title of this entry. A 100 mile week has always been a goal of mine.. and I WILL log one of those someday, maybe next month, maybe next year. Right now seems as good a time as any to try and attempt this (curse the 10% rule!). I'm running healthy, injury free and have motivation to do it. So, less than 3 weeks from today, this will be my motivation to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Maybe by mid to late march I will be able to mark this off my to-do list...

4 comments:

Lucho said...

Hey-
Watch that arch.. the cramp may have been from a tight soleus or gastroc.. Massage your calf muscles and see if you have a tight knot.
As for BCAA supplements I buy a powder vitamin mix from Vitamin Cottage that has every vitamin and mineral and enzyme, BCAA.. everything.
I know Twin Labs makes a liquid BCAA supplement that is pretty good and affordable.
Cheers

GZ said...

one approach to the 100 mile week ... 7 in the AM, 7 in the PM for six days, and then 16 on Sunday.

... but if you are not used to this volume, there is risk of injury, of course.

And you will be tired. But if it were easy, everyone would do it.

Ward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ward said...

Thanks Lucho..

gz.. As a teenager in XC, my coach has us doing mega mileage in the 80-90 mile range every week.. Of course that seems like eon's ago.. now that I'm 44, the old body doesn't absorb those kinds of miles so easy now.. I feel pretty damn good right now as I've slowly upped my weekly mileage over the last year from 25/week to that 50-60 mile range.. there have been some sunday to saturdays that have went over 70 miles.. I've been taking MAP or BioBuilde as it might also be know as.. I believe is another form of BCAA's.. It has definitley helped me to abosrb the day to day hammering my legs are taking and letting me be more consistant in getting the workout in that I need to from day to day. I think if I play my cards right and structure a week similar to what you said, I think that 100 mile week will happen. It's probably more of a mental barrier thatn anything...