Thursday, November 8, 2007

In the beginning there was.....

Well, here it is. I've finally succomed to the blog! I got tired of ready everybody else's gibberish and thought I'd write some of my own meaningless drivel that will probably be read by only me. If anything, it will take up the time between waiting for my morning coffee to kick in and having to make the long drive to Bluffton for work.

Since this is my first entry, I thought I'd back up a couple of weeks and get everyone up to speed. Back on October 24th, I ran the River City Race Race in downtown Fort Wayne. Although I had hoped to break 40 minutes, I went 40:58. For those who don't know, I've been battling calf strains for a long, long time now. I think I finaly have that monkey off my back and have been putting in solid 40 mile weeks now for 9 weeks now. I've even had the motivation to throw in some 1/4 mile repeats and tempo runs every week. I ran a 19:43 at the Tin Can 5K at the end of September on an arguably tough cross country/asphalt course, so I thought I would be closer to 40 three weeks later on a faster 10K course. I went through the first mile in 6:01, then 6:10, 6:32. I knew I wasn't going to be able to back it down to 6:23, (which was my goal pace) so I tried to stay under 6:45. All in all, I was happy that I finished under 41, but somewhat frustrated that I couldn't go sub 40. I know I've still got some work to do, but I'm going to give it another shot at the JP 10K on December 8th. The JP 10K holds a special place with me as it's the first race I ever won overall. (Back in 1997, I went 35:30 and finished in front of the likes of Chuck Schlemmer and Mike Fruchey.)

Next up for me is the Fort Wayne Track Club Turkey Trot 5K on November 17h. I've never had a fast time on that course, even when I was running fast. I'll give it go and hope for the best.

I'll have to decide pretty quick if I want to take on a late winter/early spring marathon or not. I've got a good base but need to start putting in longer run's on weekends...

No comments: